&c or the Infarinato’s page
On this page I have collected a few nugae, which might be of some interest to the most insane among us. For the time being, they are mainly of a linguistic nature, and hence I nicknamed this page “the Infarinato’s page”. “Infarinato” is the pseudonym used by Lionardo Salviati (see his “pala” on the right), one of the founders of the Accademia della Crusca, and the same one I have been using in taking part in its on-line Forum.
If you are still reading, then you might also be interested in Cruscate, a new discussion board on the Italian language.
- Due di Due (Two out of two, Italian, PDF, 89 kB): an original review of Andrea De Carlo’s novel Due di Due (”Mondadori”, Milan, 1989). literature
- Accento grafico su i e u: grave o acuto? (The accent on i and u: grave or acute?, Italian, PDF, 112 kB; revised version published in Il Covile, no. 850 ). This essay is concerned with a problem of modern Italian orthography, which might be regarded as trivial by some, but, in Italy, remains the subject of continuing academic debate. linguistics
- Fonologia etrusca e fonetica toscana: il problema del sostrato (Etruscan phonology and Tuscan phonetics: the substratum problem, Italian, PDF, 104 kB). This paper is by and large a summary of Agostiniani & Giannelli (1983) [see bibliography] supplemented by some recent references and ended by some personal remarks on today’s Tuscan phonetics. historical linguistics
- Una nota su L’origine del raddoppiamento fonosintattico di M. Loporcaro (A note on L’origine del raddoppiamento fonosintattico by M. Loporcaro, Italian, PDF, 112 kB): a few remarks on this outstanding essay about the origin of Standard Italian “raddoppiamento [fono]sintattico” (“[phono]syntactic reduplication”). historical linguistics
- A note on Syllable Structure vs. Segmental Phonotactics: Geminates and Clusters in Italian Revisited by K. McCrary (English, PDF, 122 kB): a critique of a series of papers by Kristie McCrary on Standard Italian syllable structure. linguistics